Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

perfessor
Scholar

Baptist Church Excludes Democrats

Post #1

Post by perfessor »

http://www.wlos.com/

I don't get it. Didn't Jesus ply his trade among tax collectors, prostitutes, and other "sinners"?
East Waynesville Baptist asked nine members to leave. Now 40 more have left the church in protest. Former members say Pastor Chan Chandler gave them the ultimatum, saying if they didn't support George Bush, they should resign or repent. The minister declined an interview with News 13. But he did say "the actions were not politically motivated." There are questions about whether the bi-laws were followed when the members were thrown out.
So my question for debate: Should the East Waynesville Baptist Church lose its tax-exempt status?

I say they should, since the pastor has turned the church into an arm of the Republican party.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

youngborean
Sage

Post #211

Post by youngborean »

And tell me, what would be the good of marching in the Sudan for peace when there is none? Sudan is not yet capable of peace; for there to be peace, there first has to be adequate food, water, shelter, justice. And that's what the pacifists are doing there - just look at the activities of the Quakers or of the Mennonites. When you have an internally stable country with an interest in justice and the majority of its citizens well off enough to make altruistic determinations - that's when and where you can start marching. That's why the marching's going on here, in Europe, in Japan and South Korea - but not, for example, in the Middle East or in North Korea.
I don't think you can inherently link altruism to material wealth. Or a desire for peace to economic secruity. Although Ghandi was personally wealthy his message of peaceful resistance resonated with the impoverished. Now is absolutely the time for individuals to have the courage to stand up in the south and west of Sudan (as they have been doing for some time) and demand that the disproportinately wealthy government provide the whole of the country with adequate resources which they are more than able to do in the most resource rich country in Africa. How does peaceful stability happen in a country like Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt etc. without mobilizing people who want peace? The problem in Sudan is that for 15 years the west turned a blind eye to peace-seeking citizens that were murdered for a different ideology and cultural heritage. In other words, the were marching (in absence of material wealth) and were killed for it, yet collectively the world ignored it and will continue to do so because they are African.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Baptist Church Excludes Democrats

Post #212

Post by McCulloch »

perfessor wrote:So my question for debate: Should the East Waynesville Baptist Church lose its tax-exempt status?

I say they should, since the pastor has turned the church into an arm of the Republican party.

I would like to take perfessor's question one step further. Is there any reason why religion based organizations (churches, temples, mosques and the like) should be treated by the governments in any way differently from non-religious charitable organizations?
Here in Canada, churches have different tax exemptions and reporting requirements than other charitable organizations. Non-church charitable must spend more time and effort to prove to governments that they are, in fact, non-political and non-profit than churches have to. Churches are eligible for some tax exemptions that are not available to non-religious charities. I expect that there are similar differences in many other countries.

Is this fair? Is there a benefit to the citizens and taxpayers of our countries in favouring churches this way? I believe that there should be a set of rules that should apply to all charities and non-profits regardless of the faith or the lack of faith of the members of the organization. I believe that our governments should not be in the business of determining or validating that a particular organization is or is not a legitimate religious organization.

youngborean
Sage

Post #213

Post by youngborean »

If that were the case then the Government should be utterly void of making any moral law then and should only be concerned with developing infastructure. They should never take away religious freedom without changing the US Constitution or the Canadian Charter of rights. Freedom of religion would imply a freedom of morality provided there wasn't a contradiction to laws. Otherwise the government has disproportionate power and religion is not free. I believe it is totally fair as long as it applies to every religion. This is only becasue freedom of religion is protected by the US constitution and the Canadian charter of rights. Other non-profits are not excerising this right, they are only taking advantage of non-religious laws based on, or are government sponsored groups (art galleries etc.). The extra benefits maintain this freedom for all religions, making it totally fair in my mind.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #214

Post by McCulloch »

youngborean wrote:If that were the case then the Government should be utterly void of making any moral law then and should only be concerned with developing infastructure.
Are you trying to assert that there is no morals apart from religion? If you are, then we need to open a new thread to debate that. Many humanists and some christians believe that there can be moral values without religion.
youngborean wrote:They should never take away religious freedom without changing the US Constitution or the Canadian Charter of rights. Freedom of religion would imply a freedom of morality provided there wasn't a contradiction to laws.
I'm not sure that I follow you. How would treating religious organizations the same way as other charities compromise freedom of religion?
youngborean wrote:Otherwise the government has disproportionate power and religion is not free. I believe it is totally fair as long as it applies to every religion.
But there is the rub. The government has to decide which groups are legitimate religions. Some people would claim that followers of the Rasta religion are just a bunch of hemp smoking nuts. The governments have put themselves in the place to decide which groups constitute legitimate religions. In our countries, they tend to use a rather wide definition, but they must decide none-the-less.
youngborean wrote:This is only becasue freedom of religion is protected by the US constitution and the Canadian charter of rights. Other non-profits are not excerising this right, they are only taking advantage of non-religious laws based on, or are government sponsored groups (art galleries etc.). The extra benefits maintain this freedom for all religions, making it totally fair in my mind.
Isn't the favourable tax situation for religious organizations a form of establishment of religion? No, our governments (at least up to the time of Bush II ) are very careful not to unfairly favour one particular religious group but they are favouring religion. I believe that freedom of religion (and freedom from religion) would still be protected if the religious groups were treated the same as other charities. I would not advocate taking the charitable status away from the churches.

youngborean
Sage

Post #215

Post by youngborean »

But the freedom of charities is not protected by law. There is a complete seperation of Church and state that is the ideal, to prevent government imposition on Churches operating freely. The ability to do Charity is something that the government has rightfully allowed to operate but is not a fundamental principle of the Charter of Rights and freedoms. It has to do with the collective good, and not individual freedom. My point about morality is that it would only be fair that the government give up something if they required the church to give up their complete freedom from taxation. Favorable tax exemptions only look favorable becuase they are groups that are economically free. Now I do wish that every individual had the same economic freedom, but that isn't as clearly protected in the foundational laws. Your point about rastafarianism is well taken. There is still hypocrisy in establishing this freedom. I think we are probably saying the same thing from different angles. Because I wouldn't be against the law changing to give all charities the same rights as religions, but I would be against the governments imposing further restrictions upon religion to make it more institutional or governmental (ie to make them run like an art gallery or museum). So moving charities up to the status of religion would require a constitutional change, which I wouldn't be against. But defining a Religion the same as any other institution I would be against and believe it to be unconstitutional. However, if you could be more specific about the specific tax-exemptions that churches get we could talk about them specifically, becasue maybe they make sense? You mentioned them earlier very vaguely.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #216

Post by AlAyeti »

Your post was impressive until the last paragraph.

Cowardice is the unwillingness to give up your life for others. You want paved peaceful streets first? That is exactly the way I painted anti-war cowards. Now, Christian missionaries are heros. They go to where the evil is and try to do something abiout it. And suffer.

I notice that the anti-war leftists are no where to be seen when a democrat is in the whitehouse. Those that are yoked together on the left paint a very unChristian alliance.

The Bible is clear on not yoking yourselves with unbelievers. Only if the acurate perception is held, and that being wheat and tares, is there any sense to be walking with unbelievers.

They can seek us out for advice and support but not the other way around. We live by faith but that doesn't mean by trusting in fairy tales. We should be the example and indeed we are. Schools, hospitals and universities all have the fingerprint of Christianity in the US. We are the greatest nation for a reason, and it is not our secuar licentiousness and psuedo goodness.

When Christians lean to far towards the darkness, then Pastors should do the right thing, and ask them to go. Look at Paul's suggestion of turning over the sinful believer to Satan.

We cannot be an example by diluting Christ in a bunch of Christ-hating hypocrites.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #217

Post by AlAyeti »

Though "seperation of church and state" is no where in the constitution, it is clear that the government as defined in the constitution, can do nothing to a religious institution.

Taxing a church is anti-constitutional.

Religious freedom shouldn't cost anything and indeed the constitution mandates that it will be left alone.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #218

Post by McCulloch »

AlAyeti wrote:Taxing a church is anti-constitutional.

Do churches pay sales tax when they send someone to the store to purchase candles or food, in jurisdictions where sales tax is enacted? Do churches' employees pay income taxes on their income for church related activities? Then why are churches exempt from property taxes in many jurisdictions?

I believe that freedom of religion does not mean that religious organizations should be granted exemptions that do not apply to other similar non-religious organizations. I don't think that religious organizations should be given a hand out from our governments.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #219

Post by ENIGMA »

AlAyeti wrote:Though "seperation of church and state" is no where in the constitution,
Just as "The Trinity" is nowhere in the Bible.
it is clear that the government as defined in the constitution, can do nothing to a religious institution.
Indeed. The government has been giving an unwarranted privelege to religious groups for far too long.
Not at all. Taxing it more than an equivalent non-church entity would be, perhaps.
Religious freedom shouldn't cost anything and indeed the constitution mandates that it will be left alone.
Religious freedom means that people can worship freely. Freely as in being able to choose without coersion or being forced, not freely as in it doesn't cost anything such as "Free with 99 cent purchase". It is merely an odd artifact of English that the same word is used for both (as opposed to, say, Spanish where the terms are libre and gratis, respectively).

The proper term would be libre, unless you would wish to contend that there is no prohibition of government banning various religions outright so long as they don't tax them.

Perhaps you can point out the part of the constitution where it says churches are more free than people.

People pay taxes.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #220

Post by MagusYanam »

AlAyeti wrote:Your post was impressive until the last paragraph.

Cowardice is the unwillingness to give up your life for others. You want paved peaceful streets first? That is exactly the way I painted anti-war cowards. Now, Christian missionaries are heros. They go to where the evil is and try to do something abiout it. And suffer.
Who do you think is doing the 'paving'? Who do you think it is who goes over to the troubled regions of the world with humanitarian aid? Among them are people who (here) would be pacifists, and well you know it. And you're calling them unwilling to give up their lives for others? I don't know how much more crass or how much more blind you can get, in all honesty.

Missionaries are heroes when they are doing good for people as well as preaching. I'm iffy on proselytisation especially when it has so often in Western history gone hand-in-hand with cultural imperialism, but when missionaries are actually helping people live their lives a little easier, they are actually improving the world and doing God's will on earth.
AlAyeti wrote:The Bible is clear on not yoking yourselves with unbelievers. Only if the acurate perception is held, and that being wheat and tares, is there any sense to be walking with unbelievers.

They can seek us out for advice and support but not the other way around. We live by faith but that doesn't mean by trusting in fairy tales. We should be the example and indeed we are. Schools, hospitals and universities all have the fingerprint of Christianity in the US. We are the greatest nation for a reason, and it is not our secuar licentiousness and psuedo goodness.

When Christians lean to far towards the darkness, then Pastors should do the right thing, and ask them to go. Look at Paul's suggestion of turning over the sinful believer to Satan.

We cannot be an example by diluting Christ in a bunch of Christ-hating hypocrites.
Look, scripture is not the only guide. Historically speaking, there have been three authorities: scripture, tradition, and the teaching magisterium of the Papacy. Most Protestants have discarded the last authority and replaced it with common sense.

Firstly, on a purely pragmatic basis, when committing to a venture it's always sensible to enlist as much help as possible. It shouldn't matter where that help comes from, so long as it's given and taken honestly. Also on a purely pragmatic basis, knowledge and reason are to be valued for their own sakes. Should we throw out relativity because the mind which bore it forth into physics was not Christian? Of course not.

I would disagree with the assertion that the United States is the greatest country in the world (that being a purely subjective measure), but if you're talking in terms of wealth and political power, you'll find that historically speaking that has more to do with an isolationist foreign policy and massive investment in industry than anything else.

Schools and hospitals all bear the mark of Christianity because there was no alternative. No other religious or non-religious entity in the United States had the resources with which the mainline churches (the Methodists, the Presbyterians, the Congregationalists and the Episcopalians) were endowed. Schools were actually vital to church life and churches invested heavily in their schools because most schools in this country actually started off as seminaries. It actually is worth noting that all of the good schools in this country bear the mark of liberal-mainline Christian thought. Harvard's a Unitarian-Universalist school, Yale's liberal Congregationalist, Princeton's Presbyterian, Brown is American Baptist (as is my own college, Kalamazoo), Columbia is Congregationist, Earlham's Society of Friends, &c. And all of them are now hubs of liberal thought.

As to that last statement, I only reiterate that it is the poor shepherd who does not go out after the missing sheep and it is the poor pastor who makes no effort to ensure all his flock are accounted for. It is repugnant beyond words for a shepherd to actually turn sheep out of their field.
AlAyeti wrote:Though "seperation of church and state" is no where in the constitution, it is clear that the government as defined in the constitution, can do nothing to a religious institution.

Taxing religious organisations without political affiliation is anti-Constitutional. But when a church becomes an entity which by policy endorses a particular party, candidate or interest group, it ceases to function wholly as a religious organisation and becomes subject to the same rules which govern all other political organisations.

Religious freedom and economic and political liberty are separate issues and should be treated as such - what is at issue here is not whether religious institutions should be tax-exempt, what is at issue here is whether this particular Baptist church should count as a wholly religious institution (as opposed to a political one).

In my opinion we should be calling a spade a spade and recognising this Baptist church as an outgrowth of the Republican Party (since de jure, so to speak, it is now actively excluding members of the opposition).